Friday, August 5, 2011

The Summer Duck Farm

I cannot begin to express in words how excited I am to be able to speak French again!  If I had it my way, Andrea and Nicolas would move in with me in Charlotte and I would never speak American ever again!
We made a pit stop on our way to The Farm.  We paused at a Walmart in Albemarle to pick up Nico's prescription. Here, I introduced them to "the people of Walmart".  I am not a Wally World snob by any stretch of the imagination; in fact, it was one of my most missed stores while I was in France.  They were amazed by the vastness of it.  (I, honestly, did not think it any more impressive than the Auchan in Henin-Beaumont.)  The great thing about speaking French in small-town America is that no one understands anything.  If, perchance, anyone has learned French, it is most likely classroom French in which case, there is only the slightest possibility he or she knows what any of us say.  It totally bugged my brother, Taylor, that I would not translate everything for him. 
We finally arrived at The Farm.  After a traditional southern US meal of REAL BBQ, we spent the afternoon riding golf carts and ATVs, walking the grounds, lounging about, and just chatting.  Even though Taylor has trouble understanding a lot of what goes on, I think he likes Nicolas, and I'm pretty sure he has a crush on Andrea (no suprise there).
Andrea and I beat the boys in a golf cart race.  They got even by initating a water fight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment