Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Une Peche Au Thon

Today was my last day of school in France.  Ever.  School technically does not finish for Lycee Saint Paul until this Saturday, and even after that, the students still have to pass the BAC.  If you wonder whether they had a big bang party to send me off into the vast unknown that is my future in the United States, I will quickly put an end to that thought by noting that nothing out of the ordinary happened at all today.
I arrived at school at 9h15, decided to skip Spanish class to hang out with my friends, took notes in French and Economy, ate lunch, and took some more notes in Maths and History.  The funniest part of the day happened at lunch time.  I was looking at the menu for the day and noticed that in the entree (appetizer) column, the dish "peche au thon" was noted on the board.  At first I freaked out, saying, "Eew! How gross! Who in their right mind woud serve tuna fish with a peach?"  I then realized that peche also means fishing, so I corrected myself, "Oh, wait, that's not right; it's probably just freshly caught tuna! Duh!"  Surprisingly, however, Cloe turned to me and told me that I had been correct the first time.  So, in an effort to try new things, I ate a tunafish filled peach at lunch time today.  What's even more surprising is that I enjoyed it, in fact!  After lunch we went back to the Salle de Travail where I recounted stories from this weekend; we laughed so hard we almost exploded.  After school had ended, we also spent the last hour in the Salle de Travail.  When we left it was pouring down rain.  Under Marie's umbrella that barely covered my head, I removed my shoes so as to avoid ruining them.  I thought my friends were going to die of laughter!  You cannot imagine how may weird looks I received, running through the rain from the bathroom with Somaya.  I even got a text from Andrea (host sister) who had seen me from the bus window.

No comments:

Post a Comment