Thursday, June 2, 2011

Versailles

I road the RER this morning from Paris to Versailles. In the train station, I met some super nice people from Oklahoma.  On the train itself, we had wonderful entertainment by some musicians on accordians!  I arrived in Versailles around 9h30, but since the Adamski's were not supposed to get there until 10h30, I waited for an hour by the statue of Louis XIV. 
When the Adamskis did arrive, we decided to do everything backwards. We began in the horse stables that now hold a carriage exhibit.  Oh, how I want to ride in a horse drawn carriage wearing glass slippers on the arm of a prince!  A girl can dream..
In the Queen's appartment we walked through rooms whose lavishness I could never compare to any American suite.  She had a view to kill for, and enough distance from her husband's chateau that she could breathe enough, so the idea of killing her husband would never present a problem.
We moved on to the gardens so extravagant that I thought I might lose myself even with a map. We watched a fabulous waterworks display in a labyrinth of roses.  I just kept wondering when the dolphins would make their appearance.
We finally, after waiting a modest amount of time, we entered the Château. No comment.  It was incredible.  I am officially marrying the next monarch who calls himself the Sun King!
I honestly think that Emilie had more fun in the gift shops afterwords, though!  The guards had to kick us out at closing time because we overstayed our welcome. 

I wonder if it would be possible to be a squatter in a chateau like Versailles....

No comments:

Post a Comment