Saturday, January 8, 2011

Day Trip to Bruges!


This afternoon when school let out, Anne, Adrien, and Andrea picked me up and we headed to Belgium! After about an hour or two's car ride, we arrived in the beautiful, walled-in town of Bruges. Adrien, who just recently earned his driver's licence, spent a good ten minutes parallel-parking the car. The meter, however, was just as uncooperative, so he had to unparallel-park the car, and we left the car in an underground parking garage instead.
I learned today that Bruges is the location of Purgatory!
I also learned that the Flemish do not know how to spell! On the other hand, they do know how to properly use a waffle iron!
They also know how to mix sinful chocolate! The best part of the day was the free-sampling of Belgian Chocolates! Yummmmm! Not only does it taste like Heaven, it comes in creatives shapes and sizes like swans, teddy bears, or high-heeled shoes! While walking around the town, I mapped out my free-sampling route that I would take every day home from school were I an exchange student amongst the Flemish.
Bruges is known as Venice of the North. Well, I honestly cannot compare as I have never been to Italy. I will say that it is a charming town with lovely architecture and rivers cutting through the buildings like scissors cutting out a maze.
The only negative aspect of Belgium is that no matter where you go, ALL of the toilets have a charge.
At around five, we left Bruges for Brussels. We drove two hours, ate in a Lebanese restaurant, deposed Adrien at a friend's house, drove down to Saint-Omer to pick up Nicolas, and returned to Vimy.

No comments:

Post a Comment