Friday, January 21, 2011

Vive le Soleil a Marseille!

I love the sun! This morning I discovered the hills of Marseille as we climbed to the top to see Notre Dame de la Garde. The walk was long and slippery because it had snowed the night before for the first time in two years. The mostly melted snow and ice, however, did not hinder us from reaching the church and enjoying the view it gave us of the Mediterannean, the town of Marseille, and the snow-capped peaks of the end of the range of the Alps. The 360 degree view was breathtaking!
From there, we headed down the hill to eat lunch. When we walked into the restarurant that was smaller than my bedroom, I thought it was wierd that some customers started talking to me randomly. Two minutes later, they stood, read us the entire menu, told us what was best, gave us a sample to convince us, and had convinced us of the underrated charm of hole-in-the-wall eateries. I highly recommend the soupions at the Cafe des Arts, if anyone ever comes to Marseille.
After lunch we walked to the Palais du Pharo, a beautiful chateau given to Napoleon III's wife as a "just because I love you" gift. It was lovely from the outside, but the lady at the front desk informed me that it wasn't furnished or available for tours because it is currently used as offices and a meeting place for congress.

No comments:

Post a Comment