Saturday, January 15, 2011

Yes, I Can Read, Thank You Very Much!

While I answer questions here and there, none of my teachers have actually asked me to read a text in class. That is, until this morning...
There I sat in Political-Science, leaning over the notes I was copying on the French Constitution when I heard the teacher say my name. I immediately jerked, sat up straight, and looked at the teacher as a reflex. She asked me if I could read the text. Yamina, sitting next to me, interjected, "Of course she knows how to read!" I really enjoyed reading in French class last year, and I would have liked this, too, if it had been a no-big-deal type situation. I read through Article IX, stumbling once or twice, and looked up at the teacher when I had finished.
"Very good," she approved. That would have sufficed for me, but Yamina sitting next to me then opened her mouth and practically shouted, "I think that deserves some applause. Let's applaude her!"
OH NO! As I mentioned in an earlier post, I cannot get angry in French. My mind went blank as I stared at her whispering, "Shhh! Be quiet!" I was mortified.
"Your face has gone all red," she noted afterwards.
"Really, Sherlock?" was all I could think.

No comments:

Post a Comment