Friday, December 31, 2010

Grapes in France

I love grapes. However, the French do not see the need to remove the seeds before selling them in the stores. Therefore, almost all of the grapes here are seedy grapes. Yuck! I have been spoiled all of my life with seedless grapes. I hate the idea of having to spit out a pit like sunflower seeds on a baseball field.
This afternoon, Catherine dropped off Michael and me in Arras. After buying an adorable pair of boots and browsing the bookstore, we walked into a Monoprix all-purpose store. I immediately headed to the grocery section to search for pureed pumpkin. I have been wanting to try to make a pumpkin cheesecake for the past few days. I searched the aisles in vain. Finally, I decided to look in the fresh fruit section, resigned to make the puree myself. While I did not find a pumpkin there, I stumbled upon SEEDLESS GRAPES! I ate one, the sweet juice bursting in my mouth. I chewed through my first green, fleshy goodness warily, certain that a pit would jump out at me and crunch between my teeth. The package had not lied to me; I had truly found seedless grapes! I cannot remember the last time I felt this much excitement towards fruit. I ate almost two pounds and five Euro's worth of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment