Monday, November 8, 2010

Au Contraire!

Today, I spoke a lot with a guy named Baptiste, the one who dances like Michael Jackson! He takes my bus to school. As soon as I stepped off, he came up to me and started quizzing me about my life in America. He was particularly curious why I came to France of all countries because, after all, English is the most popular language. I explained to him that I already knew how to speak English, so it would be pointless for me to do an exchange in my own country! He kept arguing that the French aren't nice people, the language is ugly, the country has nothing to offer, and that New York City's drivers are much nicer than those in France. All I could think to say to that was, "PSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH!!!! YEAH, RIGHT!" In my limited experience, I believe the opposite of everything he said!
It was interesting, though, and I was proud of him because he spoke to me all day in English. I responded in French, of course. I know how difficult it is to speak non-stop in a foreign language, and it was really nice to see him make such a great effort!

No comments:

Post a Comment