Friday, May 13, 2011

Ecole Primaire



Today I skipped school to attend my host sister's Elementary School. She is currently in CE2, the US equivalent of third grade. We began the morning with the entire class introducing themselves to me. I now know what Leo, Emilie's "boyfriend" looks like and who her best school friends are. I love little kids. I wish I had better hearing, though, because soft voices plus listening to a non-native language does not facilitate comprehension. Mme. Dupas left the room shortly after, and the English teacher came in. Today we learned about the objects in a classroom, and they all sang "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes". It surprised me that the English teacher spoke almost the entire time in English and hesitated to convert to French to explain to them. When the English teacher left, Mme. Dupas had not returned to the class, so one of the boys stood at the front of the room and watched over all of his classmates while they giggled and tried not to speak. (If they did speak without raising their hands, the boy wrote their names on the board.)
Mme. Dupas then came back and began a spelling lesson. Afterwords the class had recess, but I went with the teacher to the teachers' lounge.
Back in the class, I explained a little about my life in the US, and the other students asked me questions. Mme. Dupas gave me a children's book, a booklet of French expressions, and a synonym dictionary to fill the rest of class time.
We had to wait for probably an hour at recess before going to eat. I walked around with Emilie and her friend Alice during that time. At one point a boy who looked to be ten or so came up to us and shouted, "Woohwoohwoohwoohwoohwooh!" Emilie did not know him. Alice did not know him. I still do not know who he is.
It was really nice because I then saw Alice, Elise's ten year old sister with whom I passed the weekend in Lyon during the vacations. She is so adorable!
I felt so popular today. I had so many random children come up to me saying, "Are you American? Do you speak American? How old are you? Do you have a boyfriend? What's your name? Can you say something for us in American?" It was wierd at the same time since I have never seen so many pairs of eyes on me. Without exaggerating, at any time during the recreation periods, half of the kids outside were staring at me. The little boys in Emilie's class were really cute because they would come up to me and say,"You're sexy" or "So-and-so thinks you're sexy." I would respond, "Thank you," and they would all giggle and tell their friends, "Look, she says, "Thank you" when we say she's sexy haha!" After eating I played some sort of dodgeball game with everyone. When we had finished, a possy of boys followed two feet behind me wherever I went. I, in a way, felt like an alien with everyone oohing and aahing all over me.
The rest of the afternoon was pretty uneventful. They had a grammar lesson, gym class, another recreation period, a geography class, and school then let out a 4h30.
Tonight, Michael came over for dinner. (I'm so glad we're friends again!) We played S.O.S. (the French version of the basketball game H.O.R.S.E.) and then went down to the ducasse and rode the bumper cars for an hour.
For dinner Pascaline made Chinese food. It was delicious!
I would have to say that this was probably the best Friday the 13th ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment