Wednesday, October 6, 2010

La Caserne des Pompiers


Last night I went to see the fire department in Lievin with my Rotary club. I expected it to be a quick tour where we would go through the average day in the life of a firefighter. Instead, we listened to a fireman lecture for an hour and a half of everything relating to what he did. All of the Rotarians asked me if I understood everything that he said. Honestly, because it was all so technical, I didn't pay attention to half of it.

The woman who sat next to me, Sandrine was so nice. Guess what? When she was younger, she did a summer exchange with a family in Charlotte! What a small world!

Once the powerpoint presentation had finished, we headed over to the garage and looked at all of the firetrucks. Apparently, one truck costs more than 400,000 Euros. (I'm using the American comma here to indicate the thousand mark, not the French one to indicate a decimal.) It was hilarious to hear the two women standing near me talk about how muscular the firemen were and how one of them had sat near the front when the fireman gave his presentation, and how she could see his abs through his shirt. Honesty is always the best policy, but I'm not sure how happy her husband was.

At dinner M. Polveche made me taste Limoncello. It had so much sugar that I could not taste the alcohol at all. It's presentation was marvelous. Someone had frozen flowers in water around the bottle, so all you could see was a giant ice cube filled with flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment