Sunday, October 31, 2010

My British Host Family


If people are judged by how they treat their dogs, then Liz and John Wilton must be two of the nicest people. After all, they are welcoming me into their home, with very little prior knowledge about me. After I admitted that I knew virtually nothing about this trip and staying with them, they revealed that they knew so little about me that they thought I was Hugues's daughter. Liz reminds me a little of my math teacher in the face. John, when talking to his dog Shawney, speaks in third person, referring to himself as Master and Shawney as just Dog, and does not use articles. It is quite amusing to listen to him talk to her.



They live in a charming house in the most adorable town right outside of Eastbourne called East Dean. We stopped off at their house briefly in between Rotary events, during which time Liz showed me my room and fed me tea with tomatoes, cucumbers, and a potato, all marvelously displayed. John is a true gentleman; he opens and closes all the doors for me, and will not let me lift a finger, even to carry a plate to the kitchen. He also, apparently, does not like to be called Sir and prefers just John.

No comments:

Post a Comment