Sunday, March 20, 2011

Il Mercato


This morning I wanted to go to the market. It was all the way across the river, and there was a race going on, so we had to take a few detours. I love getting lost when there's no rush to get anywhere because, especially in Rome, one finds treasures at every turn of a corner! In our case we ended up in a botanical garden with a lovely view of the city!

When we reached Portese in the Trastevere neighborhood, we found the largest yard sale in the entire world! I honestly think that this market took up more space than the entire town of Vermelles. We were still in the middle of it all when we realized we were hungry. There were no restaurants around, but we ended up finding a stand that made bruschetta and some sort of skewered beef. The kabob was just ok, but the bruschetta was amazing!
We got lost again coming back, but the Trasetvere area isn't as pretty as the rest of Rome, so it wasn't as exciting.
Tonight at 18h30, we went to a chorale concert at the Episcopal church here, Saint Paul within the walls. It lasted a little over an hour, and the music was lovely!
After the concert, we walked down to the Pantheon and the Trevi Fountain just because. On our way back, I saw an orange tree. I love fruit, so I decided that I wanted to pick one. Being 5 foot 3 (1,61 meters) does have its disadvantages. I managed to jump and reach a branch. I shook it, eventhough there were no oranges on that particular branch. Just as I was about to give up, an orange on the opposite side of the tree fell off, and I picked it up and started to peel it. It smelled heavenly! I turned around and noticed immediately that there was a police officer right behind me! Uh oh! Fortunately, he was in a booth and had been looking in the opposite direction the entire time. We rushed away, and I popped a juicy sliver of the fruit into my mouth. However, I didn't have time to savor it because my gut reaction was to spit out the surprisingly sour nastiness. Note: looks and smell can be deceiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment