Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Vaticano


It rained today. Catherine warned me that it might, but I'm still in denial! That did not hinder our adventure; instead, we donned our touristy tennis shoes and took the bus to the smallest country in the world: The Vatican! There, we ate pasta, bruchetta, and the best aubergines in a cutsie cafe before stepping back out into the rain.


Without really knowing where we were going, we started our journey in the Basilica San Pietro (Saint Peter's Church). I took a few quick photos of Michaelangelo's shiny Pieta and spent the rest of the time overwhelmed ( a feeling that never really left all day) at the enormity and intricacies of the architecture and artwork.
I also saw the embalmed remains of one of the popes. My only comments on that were that he had very small feet, no eyebrows, and wore a Santa Clause hat.

We then backtracked into where we should have started. In the Vatican museum, I observed all of the de-penised male statues,
an Egyptian mummy with creepy eyes and hair in much need of shampoo,
the Laocoon, and the unphotographable Sistine Chapel. My first reaction to the Sistine Chapel was to think that it was overrated. I had seen ceilings and walls in most of the other rooms that I liked much better. I then looked straight upwards. It may have been dizziness, but I could have sworn that it was painted in 3-D!

No comments:

Post a Comment