Sunday, February 27, 2011

Les Boves

This morning I woke up at seven to go over to the Pecqueurs. I originally thought that I was going to accompany Heloise to a horse competition. I quickly learned that instead we were going to Christophe's soccer game in Vermelles. I enjoyed meeting all of his soccer friends, but Christophe ended up driving me back at half-time around eleven because he thought it was too cold for me.
This afternoon, we all went to Arras. First, we decided to go up to the top of the Beffroi. Mathilde, Pierre, and I decided to climb the steps. We soon realized that the steps only went up half way up the tower, so we had to redescend and take the elevator. Then we visited the Boves of Arras. The etymology of the word bove has been lost over time, but the boves were originally used as chalk mines, then they turned into underground food cellars. Now, the tunnels are open for guided visits. After our tour, we tasted two specialties of Arras: des Coeurs d'Arras (a gingerbread, heart-shaped cookie) and chocolate rats.
Tonight, I saw, for the second time, the movie Rien a Declarer. It's the tipe of movie that I would most likely dislike if it were in English, but because it is in French, I love it. Everything (if I understand it) is funnier in French.

No comments:

Post a Comment