Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Anybody want Thinmints?

I felt like a good little girl scout when I helped a seventy-nine year old woman cross the street! One second I was walking to school from the bus stop, the next second she was asking me to help her because I had smiled at her. Who knew that good samaritans were needed in France, too?
I had two hours of TPE this morning. I asked Mme. DeGroote yesterday and she told me that I didn't need to take this class, but I went today to see what it was because I had nothing else to do. It is exactly what I thought DS was in the beginning. It's the year long project on any random subject that any student chooses. It actually sounds like fun (if I were an actual French student). DS, on the other hand, includes all of the tests and quizzes that I do NOT want to take. I guess that means I don't get any grades for this year! So much for having classes transfer... Anyways, in TPE (Travaux Personnels Encadres) the teachers, Mme. Blondel from French and Mme. Castelain from Science, gave us categories and we had to write any words that came to mind relating to the subject. I sort of enjoyed myself, but at the same time, I'm just as glad to be able to sleep in another day!
After that were French and Math. I hate it when I dislike a subject and/or teacher from the beginning of the year, but it's hard to like a class in which you're drowning. I'm most definitely drowning in Math. We got back the homework that Mme. Chanteloube gave us a week to do and that Marie had helped me complete and I still got a 7 out of 20! I wanted to cry. No one is supposed to fail the very first piece of work! It's supposed to be all review! Anyway, I didn't cry; instead, I decided that I would focus my energy on the language since that is the reason I came here anyway and not worry about Math. That will be the least stressful...I think.
Italian was better today. I think that I feel like I'm learning at least something if we learn a verb conjugation, which we did! Pauline and Nawel (Pauline's friend) even taught me a French phrase. "Hier, j'ai achete un grille pain," means "Yesterday, I bought a toaster." According to them, I should say this whenever someone tells me something that I don't really care anything about. How funny!
I had to wait an hour for the bus since Sabine can't pick me up Wednesday and Italian isn't on the regular school (bus) schedule. The old woman sitting next to me on the bench kept trying to tell me that it was only one Euro for the entire day to travel on the bus and kept going on even after I told her that I had a bus card and it was free for me anyways. I felt sort of badly for not paying particular attention to her, but I got over that when she left five minutes later.
It hasn't rained during the day all week! Today was a pretty good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment