Tuesday, September 7, 2010

"J'ai une Grande Question Pour Toi..."

Today was a whole lot better than yesterday! I didn't have any class first period because I only have Pastorale (religion classes) every other week, but I still had to go to school. No grasse-matinee today! Fortunately, I saw a girl from my class, Marie, and we sat in the foyer for an hour. I don't know if she's really good at math or if she just understood what went on yesterday, but she helped me tons with my homework. For my first period after that I had Spanish! I was excited, but I had no idea if I could handle it with French surrounding me 24/7. I could. Even though we did barely anything in Spanish since it was the first day, I knew it was too easy for me. After class, I went and asked the teacher 1. What the students had learned until that point? 2. Were there any other upper levels of Spanish? 3. Could I switch in to the Spanish class for Terminale? I asked her everything in Spanish, and she responded that I should stay in the class for a few more days, and if I were still really bored at the end, she would switch me. Yay! Next I had French where we finished our personal intros, passed our sheet to our neighbors, and read them aloud. One of the questions the teacher, Mme. Blondel, asked us was: If you were stuck in an elevator for an hour by yourself, what would you do?
Some of the responses included:
  • Drawing graffiti on the walls and denying it when the firefighters came.
  • Dancing.
  • Singing la Marseillaise.
  • Sleeping.
  • Pressing all of the buttons in hopes that the elevator would move.

Then I had Economie and Math. In Math class Mme. Chanteloube called on me second to go write a problem from our homework on the board. Uh, oh! I had understood the problem and had answered it correctly, but Americans answer math problems differently from the French, and my work was (not necessarily wrong) not 100% satisfactory. I felt like shouting, "I'm the exchange student from America! You're NOT SUPPOSED to call on me!" It wasn't so bad when a few students after me took thirty minutes to answer their problems, which were simple. In Histoire-Geo we discussed the Industrial Revolution. Whenever Mme. DeGroote started talking about the US, she would ask me a question or have me pronounce something in English.

During recreation, I asked Mme.Pruvost (the foreign exchange student coordinator) about my Spanish class. She said that the teacher was the one to change my class, and once she did, all I had to do was let her know. I also asked her to add an additional class to my list. I am now taking Italian on Wednesday afternoons after school!

My last period class was SVT (Sciences de la Vie et de la Terre) Earth Science. Mme. Castelain is nice, and I don't think the class will be too difficult. She is pregnant, and her baby is due in January. In part, I am happy that she is pregnant (because I love babies), but I'm also sad because she might potentially be my favorite teacher.

On the bus a girl from my class named Caroline came up to me and asked, (in French, or course) "I have a big question for you...do you watch Gossip Girl?" It made me laugh. Unfortunately, I had to answer in the negative, but she offered to lend me some episodes, so I'll catch up!

Tonight, I went with Sabine to what she called gimnastique. It really was just a beginner work out class for adults. Again, I was the only one under thirty, but I had fun nonetheless. At the end, all of the adults complained how hard it was. (It wasn't)

No comments:

Post a Comment