Monday, September 27, 2010

The Potentially Bad Very Good Day

Heloise and I missed the bus this morning. That is always a bad sign. Thank goodness Sabine drove us all the way to school. That meant that she was late for her teaching job, but I was ten minutes earlier than usual. I didn't have a class first period, so I sat in a work room and watched Camille, Somaya, Florine, and Yamina work on the DM for Maths. Even though I didn't understand most of it, I had already done it and didn't want to try to understand something that would never come. (Even they didn't understand too well.) We had a good time exchanging stories about France and the US. At one point Camille asked me whether or not I knew any gros mots in French (cuss words). I responded yes. (It's hard not to know any. Everyone here uses profanity as often as they use the word Bonjour.) When she asked which ones, I had to reply that even though I knew how to say them, I don't use cuss words ever. Surprisingly, she thought that was funny. She then practiced what she was going to say in English class with me. (It was practically perfect.)
Wanna know a secret? We're going to be studying the song Papa Don't Preach by Madonna in English soon! No one else in my class is supposed to know, but the teacher gave me the heads up! Shhhh!
I did not understand anything at all that went on in French or Math. I was really excited because I totally got what we were doing in Math at the beginning of class, but then the teacher added so many wierd letters and numbers and symbols that she confused everything that I already knew.
Apparently there is a button to translate my blog into French! How cool! Nawel told me today at lunch. She also told me that she had showed my Facebook page to her mom who said that I was smiley! (That's my best translation for souriante!) Nawel also told me that she thinks I have a Colgate smile! She was very happy and bubbly today! I have no idea why, but I'm so glad that positivity is contagious! (At least it is for me!)
After lunch, Economy filled my head with confusing technical terms that made absolutely no sense whatsoever. By that time, I figured that today would be one of those days where all my classes would befuddle me, and I just had to take the bad with the good.
Mme. DeGroote began History by announcing that among the evaluations she had given (remember the test thing from last Monday morning), the lowest grade was a seven and the highest was a sixteen. (This is all out of twenty.) She came over to me first (I knew I had gotten the seven) and told me that she had graded me as she would any other French student. She then announced my grade in front of the entire class. I got a THIRTEEN!!!! I have never been so excited! I was sort of annoyed that she said my grade out loud (she said everybody's grade out loud), but I got over that quickly. I, the American student, did not have the lowest grade in a class that is not English! Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! :)
The last hour Marie attempted to explain to me the math that we had done today, and I partially understood. Oh well, it's not like I'm going to use anything but basic Algebra later in life.
At home I showed Sabine my History evaluation, and even she said that it could have been the work of a French student!
I think I might know what my favorite subject this year will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment