Sunday, September 12, 2010

You mean you actually WENT to school?

Saturday morning, I had my first class of double-hour Sciences-Po (Political Science) followed by Economy and English. I have no idea what I'm going to do in Sciences-Po besides give a forty-five minute presentation on current events sometime in November. The teacher seems nice, though, so the class shouldn't be too torturous. She made everybody laugh when she called roll (I'm the first name since my last name begins with "A"). She got to the third or fourth person on the list and asked her if she were foreign because she had heard that there was a foreign girl. Everyone looked at me, but no one said anything. At the beginning of the second hour, she looked at the list again, and correctly asked me if I were the foreigner...She got it eventually, and that's what's important. :)
At one thirty Sabine dropped me off at M. Polveche's house and Hugues (M. Polveche), Ingrid Neumann (my counselor), Michael (the other American who goes to my school), and Asaki (a girl from Japan who speaks neither French nor English except for maybe ten words in each), and I piled into Hugues's car and headed to Baie de Somme. I took about two hours to get to the beach. We were the first to arrive, but soon after other exchangers and rebounds came. There must have been fifty of us; there were SIXTEEN different nationalities! There were: Argeninian, Ecuadorian, Venezuelan, Brazilian, Mexican, American, Canadian, German, Japanese, Indonesian, Taiwanese, Australian, Finland, South Korean, Malaysian, and Indian students. One of my goals for this year is to become a good name remberer. Almost nobody spoke any French once the first word of English was uttered. Everyone was astonished that I actually attended school today because they had all (including Michael) had permission to skip. Oh well! We completed a ropes course after two hours of explication as to how to do it, ate moules (mussles), and sang our national anthems. The trip was called a "camping" trip, but thankfully we slept in a gymnasium on the floor. Sabine and Christophe had provided me with a cot type thing that looked like a flat beach chair on which to sleep along with a sleeping bag. They had told me before that I could get a guy to help me set it up because it was hard to do. They told me that if Michael (Sabine and Christophe are his fourth host parents) didn't help me, they wouldn't feed him. Three guys had to help me set it up, all while the girl sitting next to me was asking me "What the heck is that, a tent?" Another guy said, "Those are freakin' curtins." The girl could not get over the fact that there were sailboats on them. "Look! She has sailboats on that tent!" We had a ball! French people cry when they laugh! It's called, "PLEURER DE RIRE!"

No comments:

Post a Comment